If you see us eating steamed buns with a fork and knife anytime soon, it probably has something to do with the fact that a Sichuan man was hospitalized on Sunday after he took a big, satisfying bite into a meat baozi - only to chomp into a 3cm-long metal syringe needle.
Always looking on the bright site, the man told local news, "I had the [blunt] end of the needle in my mouth, not the tip, but I was still miserably scared."
The man's mouth swelled up, and he went to the hospital for blood tests and to receive anti-inflammatory drugs. Fortunately, he tested negative for any diseases that could have been transferred by the nasty bite.
He was, understandably, upset with the supermarket that sold him the bun, but the supermarket maintains that they were not responsible. They say that the bun's filling all passes through a mechanical mixer, which would have bent, broken or otherwise exposed the needle - they are blaming a potential anonymous psycho who walked into the market, crammed a needle into a baozi and then walked out.
Yeah, we'll be thinking twice before taking a huge bite of anything, anytime too soon.