By this point, there’s a consensus view that our phones have a penchant for eavesdropping.
You probably have a dozen or so apps tuning into all your conversations while nestled in your pocket – a comforting thought, right?
It really comes into perspective when we see personalized ads about stuff we were just talking about the other day.
If you’re like us, you may find these ads a bit creepy and would like to limit WeChat’s ability to monitor your interests.
Below, you’ll find a step-by-step guide on how to put a stop to personalized ads on the frequently used app.
1. Go to Settings
2. Click ‘About’ in Settings
4. Scroll Down and Tap ‘Others’
6. Scroll to 广告 (Advertising), Click on It to Access 关于广告 (About Advertising)
7. Go to #2 and Tap ‘管理’ (Manage)
8. Turn Personalized Ads Off (Will Be Automatically Switched Back in Six Months)
Admittedly, this likely won’t put an end to mobile eavesdropping, but it should feel less weird the next time an individual ad shows up on your Moments.
[Images: screengrabs via WeChat]