Shanghai-based foodie and restaurateur Lindsey Fine (aka Veggie Mama) has been creating all sorts of delicious vegan recipes since moving to China eight years ago. You can read all about the perks of eating a plant-based diet via her blog Veggie Mama and sample recipes on this series, Cooking with Veggie Mama. In this edition, Lindsey shares her recipe for Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Sweet Potato Cheeze.
I love weekends. Not only do I get to spend more time with my boys, but I also get to spend a bit more time in the kitchen. As a mom, weekdays are just crazy. So when the weekend approaches I start to get really excited and begin to fantasize about all the amazing smells that will waft out of the kitchen while the kids gleefully make a mess of the house.
I had been looking forward to making these breakfast tacos for ages. When the weekend rolled around, I pumped up the tunes and got to work. When everything was finished and plated, my oldest son could not wait to get his hands on them. He's by far the pickiest eater in the family, so I was squealing inside as he picked up one of the tacos, took a tiny taste test bite and exclaimed "mmmmm!" He gobbled up the whole thing and asked if I could make these every day.
Pro Tip: You can easily double this recipe to have extra on hand for those busy weekday mornings (or for lunch later that day).
Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Sweet Potato Cheeze
8-10 small flour tortillas
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 medium onion, chopped small
1 package of extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp black salt
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cubed and boiled until soft
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 Tbs nutritional yeast
1 tsp white miso paste
2 Tbs tapioca flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 medium tomato, diced medium
1/4 onion, diced small
2 Tbs cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ripe medium avocado, cut in half and thinly sliced
1. In a medium pan, heat a bit of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Crumble in tofu and stir-fry for 3 more minutes, reducing heat as necessary so as not to burn the mixture.
2. Add basil, oregano, paprika, turmeric, pepper and salt. Stir to combine mixture well and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a high-powered blender, add boiled sweet potato, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, white miso paste, tapioca flour, salt, paprika, onion powder, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar. Blend on high for 3-4 minutes until mixture is completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as necessary.
4. Pour sweet potato mixture into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly. It will start to bubble and become thick and you might see clumps forming. It's OK. It's just the tapioca flour doing its thing. Keep stirring and the mixture will start to thicken and become smooth and glossy. After about 4 minutes, when the mixture is smooth and glossy, remove from heat.
5. In a medium bowl, mix together chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Set aside.
6. If desired, use a grill pan to heat tortillas. You can also use the microwave or oven. I wanted the pretty grill marks so I heated each tortilla for about 45 seconds on each side.
7. To assemble, spread some of the sweet potato cheeze on one side of the tortillas and sprinkle with tofu scramble, then close. On a serving platter, lay down one tortilla and add 3 slices of avocado on top, then repeat with the remaining tortillas and avocado slices. Spoon pico de gallo on top of the tortillas and serve immediately.
Read more Cooking with Veggie Mama
[Images courtesy of Veggie Mama/Lindsey Fine]