For many in the West, 2016 will be remembered for Trump, Brexit, terrorism in Europe and an absurd number of pop culture deaths, from Bowie to Muhammad Ali. By comparison, China had an unusually quiet year. Nonetheless, there were still a few goings-on in the world's most populous country.
In our 2016 Year in Review series, we recap the best (and worst) of China's year in the worlds of technology, social media, sport, fashion, food, arts and more.
Here are some of the more bizarre looks from the Chinese runway in 2016 that no one would ever actually wear.
1. Because thou shall not commit robbery.
2. Because cloud ear fungus belongs in double-boiled soup.
3. Because people might get the wrong idea.
4. Because you might have trouble getting into smaller doors.
5. Because you can't compete with the old people wearing pajamas on the street.
6. Because it looks like someone sewed together candy wrappers.
7. Because the tan lines from that hat will look mad funky.
8. Because people will ask why your suit jacket has no sleeves.
9. Because you'd look like a mermaid engulfed by flames.
10. Because it looks like your jacket has permanently slipped.
Photos: Street Style at Shanghai Fashion Week
4 Indie Designers We Loved at Shanghai Fashion Week
5 Standout Designers from Shanghai Fashion Week 2016
Even More Shanghai Fashion Week Street Style Photos
Chinese Fashion Labels You Need to Be Watching Right Now
For more 2016 Year in Review coverage, click here.