Two Chinese tourists found dead in their hotel room in Nagarkot, Nepal died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a malfunctioning heater, experts said Monday.
The two men, aged 62 and 55, were found dead Friday in their hotel room in the popular tourist destination, some 20 kilometres (12 miles) from Kathmandu. The men were part of a larger Chinese tour group visiting the country, and fellow tourists raised the alarm when the two did not appear for breakfast. Police eventually broke down the door of the men's hotel room to find the two dead inside.
"Our findings show that the two Chinese men died of carbon monoxide poisoning," a Nepalese official said in a statement.
"The gas that emanated from the heater in the hotel room poisoned the two," Harihar Osti of Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, told reporters. "Once it spreads ... it makes one drowsy. The victim, instead of running away, stays there and dies shortly after."
Over 500,000 tourists visit Nepal every year.
[Image via Flickr]