5 Things: Austin Hu of Heritage by Madison

By Cristina Ng, December 9, 2019

0 0

That's series where we ask a Shanghai-based somebody to tell us 5 Things specific to his or her life. 

Ahead of this week's Cheesus Christ 4 Hand Dinner with chefs Michael Wendling (Cuivre) and Austin Hu, who is hosting the event at Heritage by Madison, Hu tells us what to expect, as well as explaining his food rewards and spilling the beans on his sneaky midnight fridge raids. 

1. A cheesehead since birth

Cheese makes me fundamentally happy on so many levels that a cheese dinner made sense. After all, this is the season for it. A cheese dinner in the middle of August is less than appealing. Have you ever heard of cheese sweats? They’re a real thing, and it’s not pretty…

2. Has known Mike since their days on Dongping Lu

It’s always a good time to talk about food with him. We both – and most chefs, to be honest – have a torrid love affair with cheese. 

3. Every location is his favorite location for eating cheese

I prefer to work without constraints and can admit to it all. From having some sexy cheese with candles and a nice wine, snuggling in front of a fireplace with a loved one, to not-so-sexy eating cold cheese out of the fridge in my boxers in the middle of the night (or sexy, I’m not one to judge!) 

4. Cheese reward as a child was Kraft American singles thrown at him in his walker

Compare that to Mike eating brie off his grandmother's wooden spoon, and I guess you can see the differences in the French and American backgrounds… but nowadays, a piece of gorgeous triple cream cheese is my ultimate food reward; perfectly ripe and supple, lusciously decadent and sinfully extravagant. It is, in my opinion, the apex of luxury and incredibly hard to find in Shanghai.

5. Friends will tell him he's a cheese whore

I can’t eat nearly as much as my size would have you imagine, but when it comes to overeating, cheese is my strength. The dish that I'm most excited about serving is a course called bleu and blue, where I plan to serve a gorgeous rare tenderloin with a stilton hollandaise. There's a 95% chance it will be awesome, and a 5% chance it blows up in my face. Let's see how it goes!


Learn more about the Cheesus Christ dinner here.

Read more '5 Things’.

[Cover photo courtesy of Heritage by Madison]

more news

Interview: Chef Julian Serrano Reflects on LAGO's First Year in Shanghai

We caught up with Serrano on a recent visit to his Shanghai restaurant to see how LAGO has evolved after a year of operations.

Celebrate All Things Kiwi at New Zealand Week 2019

A special Kiwi food extravaganza featuring New Zealand’s premium produce, right here in Shanghai!

Interview: Bird's New Head Chef on Menus, Mentors and Music

We stopped by Bird to see how Jonathan He is settling into his latest challenge.

WATCH: How To Make Chef Austin Hu's Bomb-Ass Turkey Fritters

Learn how to repurpose your Christmas leftovers in this awesome MAPO.TV video, shot as part of their Chef-Mas recipes series.

Chef Austin Hu on Mental Health and Kitchen Life in Wake of Bourdain Suicide

Anthony Bourdain's death and mental health in the culinary world.

Shanghai Restaurant Review: Italo

After the closure of Funkadelino and the short-lived Funka del Sur experiment, the Funka Group is looking to step up its game with Italo.

What's Open (and Closed) During CNY 2020 in Shanghai

Plan your Chinese New Year eating and drinking activities in advance to avoid crushing disappointment.

Shanghai Restaurant Review: Garlic Barbecue

A Turkish take on Texan delights at Zhonghai Huanyuhui.

0 User Comments

In Case You Missed It…

We're on WeChat!

Scan our QR Code at right or follow us at Thats_Shanghai for events, guides, giveaways and much more!

7 Days in Shanghai With thatsmags.com

Weekly updates to your email inbox every Wednesday

Subscribe

Download previous issues

Never miss an issue of That's Shanghai!

Visit the archives

Get the App. Your essential China city companion.