This WWII-era map of China just might change the way you view the country

By Ryan Kilpatrick, February 6, 2015

4 0

This 1941 map of the Republic of China differs from most in three big ways: 1) it's orientated from the east, placing the west rather than north at the top; 2) it offers an angled, bird's eye view rather than being straight down; and 3) the incredibly vivid topography of the map truly gives you a sense of China's tricky geography. Plus an insert in the bottom left showing the internal migration of China's key universities in wartime will also be of interest to history fans.

EXPLAINER: How every Chinese province really got its name

Even though the map is nothing new, it was just recently added to cartography fan group r/MapPorn, where users are saying that it finally illuminates for them things that they had heard about China but never truly appreciated...

To view a full-resolution version, click here.

These revelations include why Chinese civilization first sprung up in the Yellow and then Yangtze River valleys, and how unique branches of that civilization with mutually unintelligible languages developed in places like Fujian and Guangdong, isolated by mountain ranges; why Lord Palmerston wanted Captain Charles Elliot to take Zhoushan instead of Hong Kong in the First Opium War, and how important the Yangtze was for accessing the interior; how the Imperial Japanese Army got as far as it did in the Second Sino-Japanese War, and why Chiang Kai-shek breached the Yellow River dykes in 1938 to hold them at bay and retreat to wartime capital Chongqing; why the country tends to fracture along the same lines in periods of disunity; and how few expansive plains the country possesses, leading the vast majority of the population to concentrate in the littoral eastern regions.

MAPPING CHINA: The invisible line that divides 94% of China's people from the other 6%

INFOGRAPHIC: How the world would look if countries were scaled according to population

Speaking of which, in case you needed any reminding that there are a lot of people in China, check out these two maps as well. The first divides the world outside of China into areas with a cumulative population equal to that of the PRC (creating a world map eerily similar to that of George Orwell's 1984) and the second superimposes a national flag on every Chinese province, denoting the country with a population most closely resembling that of the province.

DON'T MISS: Canadian Mongolia, Russian Japan and Chinese Ireland: the alternative flags of East Asia

[Images via Reddit, Wikimedia Commons]

more news

China encourages Germany to help shame Japan over WWII

China is keen to use Germany's continued contrition for the Nazi regime to highlight Japan's less transparent stance on its own wartime past during President Xi Jinping's visit to Europe next month, diplomatic sources say.

Useful Mandarin Phrases for Spring Festival and the Year of the Rat

Handy phrases to help you survive Chinese New Year.

The Ultimate Guide to International Schools in Zhejiang and Jiangsu 2020

A comprehensive guide to the best international schools in Eastern China’s Yangtze River Delta region.

Useful Mandarin Phrases: Thanksgiving

A list of essential Thanksgiving phrases to help you through the classic American holiday!

The Life of Lao She, the First People's Writer

All about the 20th century Chinese author's serious satire.

This Week In History: China at the 1984 LA Olympics

Defying a Soviet Union-led boycott, Li Ning earns the nickname Prince of Gymnasts.

Secret Stories Behind Chinese Stuff Revealed in This Photobook

Why are thermoses so popular in China? And what's the deal with all those red lanterns? This book is here to answer your questions.

Wellington's Forward Looking Festival of Education in Hangzhou

Wellington College International Hangzhou successfully their inaugural Festival of Education in Hangzhou on April 14-15.

0 User Comments

In Case You Missed It…

We're on WeChat!

Scan our QR Code at right or follow us at thatsonline for events, guides, giveaways and much more!

7 Days in China With

Weekly updates to your email inbox every Wednesday


Download previous issues

Never miss an issue of That's Magazines!

Visit the archives

Get the App. Your essential China city companion.