While it was initially reported that two Chinese nationals had been killed after the Easter bombings in Sri Lanka on April 21, the Chinese Embassy in Sri Lanka has confirmed only one Chinese person is dead following the senseless attacks.
During a press conference held on April 24 at the Chinese diplomatic mission, Cheng Xueyuan, the Chinese ambassador to Sri Lanka, added that five Chinese nationals are still missing, four of whom are believed to have perished, although this has not yet been confirmed. Another five Chinese people were wounded in the attacks, with two of them severely injured.
“The embassy will closely monitor the situation, urge Sri Lankan police to confirm the whereabouts of the missing persons and assist Chinese citizens and families in coping with the aftermath,” said Cheng.
Nine suicide bombings occurred between April 21 and 22 across the island country, killing at least 359 people and injuring hundreds more, according to CNN. Police have arrested around 60 suspects, while ISIS has claimed responsibility for the bombings.
Four of the five missing Chinese nationals are either students or teachers from the Ministry of Natural Resources’ First Institute of Oceanography, a staff member from the institute told Beijing News on April 22.
[Cover image via The Paper]