It’s hard for us to imagine anyone – let alone a sixth grader – drinking anywhere close to seven bottles of baijiu, but that's what recently happened at a primary school graduation celebration in Shandong province, according to Sina News.
The student in question, a 13-year-old boy referred to as Gao Gao, was rushed to hospital to have his stomach pumped before moving to the ICU, where he remained for three days.
Gao’s baijiu brand of choice? Erguotou, which measures in at 56 percent alcohol volume and is considered by some to be a better cleaning solution than inebriant.
The trouble occurred at a hotel, where over 20 students gathered to celebrate their sixth grade graduation, but the hotel owner insists that staff knew nothing of the drinking, adding that 56 percent Erguotou is not sold at their establishment.
Reporters also asked staff at two nearby supermarkets if the booze may have come from them, but they were simply told “no” and “I don’t know.”
The boy’s grandfather, who estimates his grandson consumed a pound of booze, insists that he is a good and honest kid, and had never drank liquor previously.
This is far from the first time baijiu has caused trouble for its consumers. A few years ago, a 57-year-old woman in Hubei province floated 75 kilometers down the Yangtze River after downing two bottles of 120-proof baijiu.
[Image via Stephen George, CCNGo]